Sabah CPO: KK shooting spree may be linked to underworld
KOTA KINABALU, Jan 22: Police are looking into the possibility that underworld gangs might be involved in the Jan 10 shootings here.
Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib said they have not ruled out the possibility that the individuals involved in the shootings were planned by criminal groups.
He said three foreigners in their 30s are still detained in the ongoing investigations into the incident that shocked Sabahans.
“We cannot reveal too much about our interrogation as it might jeopardise our investigations,” he told reporters after launching a book on religious practices on preparation after childbirth published by the Police Family Association (PERKEP) Sabah.
Hamza was asked on the possibility that persons linked to underworld figures who were busted late last year by police might be involved in the organised series of shootings around the state capital and Penampang.
He also said they would be working with the Malaysia Communication and Multimedia Commission to find the culprit who first uploaded a CCTV image claiming that it was the footage recorded from one of the damaged premises in the city.
He said a new investigation paper would be opened once Kota Kinabalu city police chief Assist Comm Jauteh Dikun lodged a police report over a fake CCTV footage following the shooting incidents, which was circulated through social networks.
“We want to find the culprit who uploaded the picture and that the two men recorded in it are among the suspects in this case,” he said.
On Jan 10, the glass panes of 46 reported business premises and banks were damaged by a group of people who were initially thought to be budak nakal (naughty boys).
These groups of people were believed to have used air rifles and marbles to carry out the midnight shootout on that day.
source: The Star Online