SEMPORNA: A kidnapping case involving a fisherman happened in Pulau Mabul, Semporna, on Tuesday as had been reported byThe Star Online.
According to The Star, The incident began when the fisherman, who was in his boat, was approached by a speedboat off Pulau Umadal at about 6.30pm.
A group of about 20 heavily-armed gunmen abducted the fisherman and demanded to be guided to a holiday resort on Pulau Mabul, Sabah, but were taken to an army camp on the island instead.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) director-general Datuk Mohamad Mantek however, has denied the reporting. Instead, he said in the incident, two fishermen were detained by individuals in a speedboat between Pulau Denawan and Mabul.
“They were not kidnapped but detained and released within 24 hours. Nothing untoward happened,” he said when contacted by BERNAMA.
He also said the group had no links with the Sulu army.
Mohamad said police had recorded statements from the victims and were investigating the motive and the strength of the group.
He added that police were tracking the group down and sea patrols by the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency and Marine Operations Force had been stepped up.
You are free to comment on this article using a valid Facebook account.